Wednesday, January 18, 2012

On Good Intentions, Precise Placement, and Another Punchy Color Combo

Fact #1: I have an obscene number of ink pads, so I decided to purge a bunch of them. I've pulled my two distress ink pads (bought in a moment of weakness when I thought, gee, you can distress!), almost all my Colorbox pigment inks (seven petal point packs, each with 8 pads...HELLO!), some SU pads (some discontinued, others just not my style, like plum), and a whole bunch of Memories and Ancient Page inks (why did I have 14 shades of brown waterproof dye ink pads?). Oh the joy of moderation! I still have plenty of inks to choose from, and yet I feel so much lighter and happier!

Fact #2: This morning, I received an email from Hero Arts announcing their new mid-tone ink pads.

Conclusion: Oh, bother.

************

Several people commented that my precise placement of the happy birthday sentiment on the OLW75 card is beyond their abilities. Pish posh. Unless you have a tremor, you just need a gridded acrylic block. Being obsessive compulsive helps, but it isn't necessary.

And yes, I occasionally ruin a card with a crooked sentiment via a hand slip or loss of concentration, but if you center the sentiment on the block and on a line, you'll get it right most of the time. I often pre-stamp on the edge of scrap paper to make sure the sentiment is perfectly straight on the block line. If you're feeling nervous, practice on copy paper cut to card size, but after a few successes, you'll seriously wonder how in the world you ever felt intimidated.

A gridded acrylic block is your best friend! Use it and be straight!

Well, you know what I mean.

If you don't believe me, I can do a tutorial. Just let me know.

And if you do have a tremor, use your computer and an ergonomic mouse pad with a hump to support your wrist. You can do it, too. It's all in the tools.


*************

And now for some more precise stamping, this time of a triangular nature.




Polka dots and triangles represent the Design Truth that angles love curves. Or curves love angles. Either way, the round dots and the isosceles triangles love each other. They're happy together.

And so are hot pink and orange.

I'm shivering right now, but looking at this card makes my heart all warm and cozy.

THAT'S a great color combo on this cold winter's night!

24 comments:

  1. WOW. This card is one of those--why didn't I think of that before. And, I never knew that circles and triangles loved each other, but I can see it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, happy card! I love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omygosh, talk about perfect placement! I just finish reading your essay about "you, too, can do perfect placement," and I get to feeling pretty giddy with confidence, maybe even cocky......which completely goes down the drain when I see this card. There is NO WAY I could do this. It's awesome, it's beautiful, and it's PERFECT! Upside down and sideways, it's perfect. How did you DO that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this! ALso love the "if you have a tremor". That made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and your ink pads are too funny! Your card is absolutely perfect. I know that I could never stamp with such precision. I would love to see a tutorial, please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to ask .. how long have you been stamping to collect your 500 ink pads? On average, it would probably work out to a fairly reasonable number of new ones per year, don't you think? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great card! I've never gotten on the "pennant" bandwagon that is so popular these days, but I do like the triangles in a design like this.

    I also really liked the one the other day with the repeated sentiment. I don't think I could ever line them up so perfectly even with the grid, but I've never tried it. So many ideas to try and so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow! Love this card! Now that is creative and perfectly stamped! I doubt I cold achieve that even if I used a stampamajig thingy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That IS a great colour combo and makes for a fabulous card!

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally awesome card. Placement is key to making it look this good. I'm going to TRY to take you up on your challenge of using every single image I have in the next two years. I'm not good at completing something like this but I'll give it a whirl. I have many old Stampin'Up! sets that I dearly love but never use. PTI just takes over my life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are such an insiration. I've got so many stamps that I just had to have but haven't seen ink yet, lol. But I have to say when you said you'd purged your ink pads my heart went 'Oh No!' LOL. How can you have too many ink pads, tee hee.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yuuup - I would love to see how you accomplish this perfect placement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of my favourite colour combos! I just pinned this to Pinterest and realized maybe I should have asked you first (what is the etiquette for Pinterest?!) - if it's not ok with you, please let me know and I'll take it down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's very cheery, a reflection of the happiness coming from your new home and craft room. =D Change is good.
    I'm seriously considering the Fiskars stamp press block, with the foam in the corners. My body is kissing the age of 50, as my mother keeps reminding me. LOL I had carpal tunnel in the early 90's. And while my hands are still good, if I've done tub scrubbing or washed bird cups, I will drop the acrylic block on the card after stamping a perfect image. It's so frustrating to be at the end and have a double stamp of the sentiment.LOL I may glue some foam to the Stampendous block, that is 1/8th inch thick, as a test run before spending money on the Fiskars. I can't imagine why someone thought the middle aged women, who are clearly the bulk of crafters who can afford this hobby, would be able to hold onto 1/8th of an inch. Maybe I'm way out in left field and they were designed to lay flat on the table with stamp face up for stamping, but that doesn't do much for aligning things. Dare I say TH's blocks are like this too, but I love everything else he has. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. I stamped an inside greeting once that was VERY crooked, so I drew an arrow to it and wrote, "This isn't crooked. Your eyes are going.". Then I signed it and dropped it in the mail. No do overs here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This gives me an idea! I feel an attempt of a CASE coming on.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Totally fun card, Susan! Love the pink and orange together. Perfect in the midst of winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I do like this - bright colours, super stamp - perfect! You did make me laugh with your comment about stamps and new colours. Oh bother indeed!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm taking one little sound bite from you today, "Angles love curves". I think that could describe my marriage at this point in my life too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the sunshine feel to it-so much fun! ;) I don't remember if I offered this info before...but I really love The Happy Company's Relaxation Heating Mat. If you should look...don't be seduced by gloves,footies,wrap with a tie,scarf (though warm..very heavy), neck thingie...I have them all.I'm obsessed with WARMTH. I LOVE my "backie". Friends don't let friends shiver. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is for Paulette Still: Yes! RUN to your nearest Michael's (and take your coupon with you), and get one of those Fiskar stamp press blocks you're wondering about. I have one, and it is absolutely fabulous. It has a grid on top, so you can line up your stamp on it perfectly. Then you can line up another line of the press with the top, bottom, or sides of your card, and you are guaranteed to stamp in a straight line. Honestly, it's fool proof. No dropping stamps, either, getting a double image. It's $7 with a coupon. Go!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun card! It also makes me feel better about my "orange" and pink card last week. Because of you, those colors are now growing on me. We can always count on you for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hot pink and orange are a hot color combo. I use them a lot too and love the card you designed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!