Monday, March 31, 2014

Square Simplicity

Today's card shows how easy it is to balance a design with two elements on a square. The strong vertical feather and strong horizontal sentiment balance well, but the black draws the eye strongly to the sentiment, which is, after all, the main idea of this card. The feather is support here...pretty support, but support nevertheless.


I adore this sentiment from Emily Dickinson, and it's so useful on a card to send to someone who is struggling. (And who doesn't struggle, at least every now and then!?!)

I chose a simple silver-and-black color scheme, and though the picture doesn't show it well, the silver Brilliance ink is absolutely stunningly shimmery. Rounding the corners of the raised panel definitely enhanced the soft feel of this card.

Is there someone you know who could use a little lift of hope right now? Perhaps you could make them a hopeful card and send it. April is the cruelest month, and the timing might be just right.

Supplies
stamps: Waltzingmouse Fine Feather
ink: Brilliance silver, Memento Luxe black
paper: Papertrey Ink
accessories: dimensionals, corner rounder

18 comments:

  1. One of my favourite sets and you've showcased how to use it with simplicity and purity - love this and will be making some...I send cards of encouragement more than any other type....because in the words of Jesus - "In this world you will have trouble..." Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card and sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your teaching tidbits~ :) Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for another lesson. The feather and sentiment are beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is April the cruelest month? I take offence to that because my birthday is in April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TS Eliot said that in The Waste Land. April is the butt-end of winter, when stores of food have dwindled but new plantings haven't ripened to eat. It was a starvation month in history, a month of death and loss.

      I understand your being offended. I'm offended by most every calendar I look at. November's picture is ALWAYS the ugliest in the calendar, even puppy calendars. November is a GREAT month!!!! And not just because it's my birth month....

      Delete
  6. Another favorite I think I'm going to have to save into my Awesome ideas folder :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure could use this card for some friends right now! This is perfection, Susan. I have a beautiful feather stamp, but who makes the Emily Dickinson quote? I'll go look now and see if it is part of the Waltinzmouse fine feather set. If it is, no need to reply. Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love everything about this beautiful card....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning and I am such a big fan of Brilliance inks! Such an elegant card, I love it! I too was perplexed by the quote until I read today's post when you explained it in full....see, us uneducated ones do need an explanation now and then! I was born on April 30th a month early and unexpected twin. God's perfect timing and this year I shall be 52years, 52 weeks and zero days old on 29th April...double celebration for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe people took that quote personally. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A striking card - I love the silver Brilliance ink.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have seen a lot of white on white cards --- and I love them. I especially like how you rounded the edges of the top layer. It sets it apart in a classy way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty, Susan. I love the subtle silver feather. (Yes, I'm playing catch-up, once again).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!