Friday, October 24, 2014

Keeping Thanks Simple: Day 6, and a Link to a Tutorial on Random Stamping

Here's the last in the series "Keeping Thanks Simple." We've looked at all six of the sentiments in the mini set Keep It Simple: Thank You from Papertrey Ink. This time, I found an amazing inspiration for creating a border on a card...a border that has no focal point but enhances the sentiment nicely.

This photo is in the latest issue of Real Simple magazine, which, by the way, is always loaded with CAS inspiration. Those graphic designers at Real Simple totally get white space. Anyway, check out those amazing colors...and I'm not even a fan of beets.




I pulled out ink pads that closely matched the colors of the beets, and then set to work stamping a random border after masking the card with post-it notes.




Doesn't this card say "thank you bunches"? Get it?

This is a perfect use for all those tiny little flowers and leaves and curlicues that come in stamp sets. (All the stamps on this card came from a variety of Papertrey sets.) The line was drawn with a copper metallic marker, and I stamped the sentiment in Staz-On timber brown so it would stamp nicely over the metallic line. Other inks won't always work over the metallic marker, so test your ink on a scrap before stamping on the card.

Staz-On is great...and it even smells good, in a don't-sniff-for-too-long sort of way.

I received an email from Sue C. asking how I manage to get balanced randomness on cards like this one from earlier this week. I told her I would do a tutorial on random stamping, and then remembered that I already had posted such a tutorial back in January 2013. (Actually, I had to search the blog for it because I can't remember what I posted last week, much less what I posted 21 months ago.)

The tutorial is HERE. Enjoy!

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey
ink: Hero Arts, Memento, Staz-On
paper: Papertrey
accessories: copper metallic marker, ruler, post-it notes


3 comments:

  1. Can you tell us what brand metallic marker you used?

    I love the colors on the card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, have I told you recently how I look forward to your posts and that I strive to get the balance and pleasing arrangements that you achieve? Well, I do. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say thank you for this clean and simple card. I needed to prep something quickly for a cardmaking get-together with friends this weekend and this was just what I needed. I substituted a pretty floral paper instead of stamping. Short, sweet and card prep done! I've just signed up to follow your blog. Enjoyed the posts I was seeing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!