Thursday, January 22, 2015

Pink Problems

As many of you already know, I use Bic and Sharpie markers mostly, and just fill in lighter shades with expensive Copics, because, you know, y'all see me coloring in things so very often that taking the cheap route just makes sense.

Except when it comes to pinks.

I have enough of all three brands to make two shades of pink, one of which is very bright and one of which is more of a salmon color. So I made two cards with the pinks I have, neither of which honestly makes me happy. I need more better pinks! Although, having said that, I rather like both cards.


I grounded the envelope on a strip of pink grapefruit
VersaMagic ink. Not sure it's better than the one below,
but it is, at least, grounded and not floating.

I'm okay with floating things. Some designers are not.
If floating makes you happy, do it. If it doesn't, don't.
Design wisdom given for free. Which is about what it is worth.

I'm willing to invest in three Copic markers that give me a softer, sweeter pink. Does anyone have suggestions?

TIA!

BTW, these cards are both destined for Operation Write Home.

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Note Niblets, Sign Language
ink: Memento
paper: Papertrey
accessories: assortment of Copic, Sharpie, and Bic markers, dimensionals, rhinestone hearts

9 comments:

  1. I am with you on the pinks! For some reason in papercrafting, a soft pink seems like it should be a basic easy color to find, but when I make a purchase the pink seems to stamp either too orange, too bright (bubblegum loud) or too purple.

    I'm looking for a great baby soft pink stamp ink suggestions as well! (Both dye and pigment inks).

    I can't wait to see what copic recommendations you get! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memento Angel Pink and Sweet Blush by Papertrey Ink are 2 great baby soft pink dye inks. The only pigment inks I have are Versacolor and if they make a baby pink, I don't own it (and I thought I owned almost all their colors.) You might try Spun Sugar Distress Ink by Tim Holtz; some folks say the distress inks stay wet long enough that you can emboss them (I haven't tried it, but I love this soft pink color.)

      Delete
  2. Susan, I may have a couple for you:

    Set 1: RV00, RV02 & RV13 (Water Lily, Sugared Almond Pink and Tender Pink, respectively)
    Set 2: RV10, RV21 & RV23 (Pale Pink, Light Pink and Pure Pink, respectively)

    I know these combinations don't follow the "rule" of going up 2 numbers to get your next color. But trust me, you don't need Shock Pink with the first set, which is the next number up. And you need to start lighter with the second set, otherwise you'll end up with Dog Rose Flower, which sounds perfect, but it's worse than Shock Pink.

    If I were buying a softer, sweeter pink, my choice would be set #2.

    Both cards are sweet; love the Versamagic Pink Grapefruit, but don't use it often enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, ma'am. That's exactly the advice I was looking for!

      Delete
  3. Your cards are very sweet, Susan. I love the tiny bling. I have no advice re Copics, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should check out the Blendabilities by Stampin' Up! They have a set (3) called Pink Pirouette which is a light pink. $11.95 for the set. Seems more economical than copics. I only have Bic & Sharpies. I can't speak for how they work. SU is having their annual Sale-A-Bration sale right now. That would just encourage you to spend more though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those may well be worth a try! Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  5. Pink piruouette is definitely a soft pink, and I think you could get that set free as a Sale-a-bration reward right now with SU.

    I don't have any pink markers yet because I'm not big on pink, but I like the bright pink on your second card. It's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My two cents... I love the floater.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!