Sunday, August 28, 2016

Stepping Up a Design

Y'all know that minimalist design makes my heart happy, but I also understand that my level of minimalism makes some people twitchy. So after I made today's first card, I decided to experiment with stepping up the design a bit. You be the judge.


First up, the super-minimalist card. Two birds in red, a sentiment in black...nothing else needed to convey the point. The red birds pop right off the card, and aren't they just lovely! They are from Clearly Besotted's Paired Up, and the sentiment is from Papertrey's Beautiful Butterflies.

I like this design. It's clean and minimalist and LateBlossom-y. But when I stepped it up a notch, several changes took place.



First, I changed the sentiment (an old PSX wood-mounted stamp) and placed the birds asymmetrically. This creates far more movement in the second design. That looked good, but my placement was slightly too high on the card for it to remain one layer, so I cut off the bottom off the front of the card, edged it with a black sharpie, and added a punched border.

The red card stock and ink actually match much better in real life, but the card stock looks darker in the photo.

I liked the first card well enough before I made the second one. There's just so much fun movement in the second one that really appeals to me. Still, if I were to give one of these two to my husband for our anniversary, I'd give him the first. When I asked his opinion, he really hated the "crap on the bottom of the second card," although he preferred the bird placement and sentiment of the second.

Which do you prefer?

Supply
stamps: Clearly Besotted, Papertrey, PSX
ink: Hero Arts intense black, red royal
paper: Papertrey white, StampinUp real red
accessories: border punch (Martha Stewart), black sharpie


16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the second. Your husband sounds rather like mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The swirls in the sentiment convey the birds movement in my mind. And the asymmetric placement of the birds appeals to my eye more.
    That being said, The Toad would most likely prefer the first card as the second one would be to "frufru" for him 🙄😉

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with george!! Love the first card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them both! I love your minimalist style, and try so hard to re-create it! My cards never seem to be as appealing as yours! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would prefer the second one if you hadn't had to cut and add. I like the asymmetry of the birds, but I like the first sentiment more than the second one. The less flourished font makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think they are both the bomb! The combination of script and print in the sentiment on the first card is equally impressive as the flourished one on the second. I think you hit a home run on both! PS. Give George the 2nd one to give to you, you give him the first...everyone is happy! :)
    Lu C

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer that my creations, or any part of them, not be referred to as crap. I like both cards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I laughed out loud at George's comment (men serve a purpose, in their own way), I also had to comment on your cards. I like both of them, for different reasons. But here's a suggestion for the second card: could you have added a very narrow border of red card stock cut with a pinking shears effect? Maybe one-quarter inch, unless that would throw off the balance. You are so much better at that than most of us mere mortals!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely the first one...it just works nicely....even though I am one of those who gets "twitchy" sometimes with the minimalist effect! I agree with your husband on the second card...the flouncy edge is at odds with the rest of the card...IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They both have merits, but I might be with your hubby about the "crap" on the bottom. It's too frilly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the first one best, yet like the placement of the birds in number two!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, Susan...Such entertainment with my morning coffee! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love them both, and both would be wonderful to give to my DH. The benefit of the 'crap' is that it continues that swoopy feel of the birds and sentiment. BUT, in keeping with a more elegant feel, would a straight panel with a slightly wider black line resolve the 'crap' issue?

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a tough question! I love the simplicity of the first one, but the bird placement and sentiment on the second one - so I guess that means I like both?!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!