Sunday, January 29, 2017

Playing with Something New

My visit with mom and my aunt was lovely, and now it's time to get back to some sort of routine...or at least what passes for routine in our crazy world.

While poking around at Barnes & Noble earlier today, I found a set of brush pens that begged to be bought for $12.95. (Surely you've had a similar experience.) The plan was to use them for coloring in a coloring book, quickly and without really bothering with shading...just putting down bright, happy colors. Coloring books, for me, are waaaay more relaxing if I don't fret about shading.



The colors turned out to be even better than I'd hoped! They won't blend well at all for me (I tried, just to be thorough, but more experienced colorers might meet with greater success).  While the flat color will serve its purpose well in a coloring book, I wondered if it would look good on a card.

It does.


These fabulously warm shades of red, orange, and gold glow off the white paper. Adding a bunch of bling helped to liven up the flat, bold color with the shiny illusion of movement.


So glad to have experimented!

Have you tried any new product lately? How did it work for you?

Supplies
stamps: Altenew Botanical Garden, Simon Says Stamp Uplifting Thoughts
ink: Archival black
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: Brilliant Brush markers, rhinestones, craft foam, glue

10 comments:

  1. The vibrant colors are so rich and warm. That's a really nice sentiment. The newest product I've tried is Nuvo Drops. I really like them, but haven't used them much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really cool! I have the red metallic and used them to make holly berries on a Christmas card. So fun!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful card, love the bright colours against the white. I bought some new gel pens and then they arrived and I am wondering what Im going to do with them, silly purchase I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try watercoloring with them. Use watercolor paper, water brush, waterproof ink to stamp...apply alittle gel pen ink to edge of image and pull the color into the stamped area with the water brush.

      Delete
  3. I also bought some Nuvo drops -- 2 bottles -- but only tried them once. I need to get better at creating rounded circles instead of little peaks ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine don't peak but if yours do, you can hold the paper up and thump the underside of the dots with your finger until the peaks disappear.

      Delete
  4. I was going to suggest watercolouring as they are washable but I see someone has already mentioned that. Having avoided getting into Copics and other brands of marker pens I was at a show last weekend and was tempted by some sets of alcohol markers at a brilliant price. I've had a little play with them but need more time for a proper play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun! I've slowly been building a Copic collection, but you're right that they are unbelievably expensive. I hope the brilliantly priced ones yield good results for you!

      Delete
  5. Love this card since it is so bright and bold. Boldly color where no man has before or some nonsense. My favorite set of markers was some cheap things I picked up from the drugstore once. I used the heck out of them. Now I do Copic markers which are truly nice but you don't want to share them in case they grow legs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!